Answers to some specific question can be found on our FAQs page. Note that some older commentaries, especially those written before 2008, may be obsolete.
Some national federations have prepared sets of rules interpretations.
United States of America ▲
The FPUSA rules interpretations are formatted as a stand-alone document. See the FPUSA web site.
As of May 2017, the interpretations for the 2016 revision of the FIPJP rules is in preparation.
Our archived copy for the 2010 rules is available in | pdf | docx | formats.
New Zealand ▲
Netherlands (Holland) ▲
The Dutch (NJBB) rules interpretations are formatted as notes inserted into the rules. On the rules page of the NJBB web site see this pdf file (RPSPlus). Our archived copy for the 2017 rules is HERE. For a bit more information (in English) about the Dutch rules, see THIS.
Some other useful resources…
– A Guide to the Rules of Petanque by Stephen Ferg.
New Zealand ▲
United Kingdom ▲
– Mike Pegg, the English International Umpire, runs a “Petanque Rules – Ask the Umpire” group on Facebook.
– The Southern Counties Petanque Association (SCPA) web site has a number of old but interesting papers by former Regional Umpire, Richard Powell.
CNA stands for Commission Nationale d’Arbitrage, the French federation’s umpires committee. MAJ is mise à jour, “revision date”.
– The CNA umpire’s guide can be found on the FFPJP umpires web page (scroll down until you see the words “Documents Arbitrage”, and under that, “Code d’arbitrage”). Our archived copy dated 2014-05-15 is HERE.
– The CNA has prepared an introduction to the rules as a Powerpoint slide show. Our archived copy dated 2015-04-20 is HERE.